A sore throat is irritation, itchiness and pain of the throat. The most common symptom is difficulty swallowing liquids and food. Also there can be dry throat, white patches on the tonsils, swollen glands in the neck and hoarseness.
Causes of a Sore Throat
- Disease of the respiratory mucous membrane is whooping cough.
- Infectious disease that causes throat inflammation is diphtheria.
- Inflammation of the throat, which is caused by the Streptococcal bacteria is a strep throat.
- Infection of the larynx is a croup
- Infection that causes skin sores is chickenpox.
- Fever and distinct rash is contagious illnesses called measles.
- Infectious disease transmitted through saliva is mononucleosis.
Gastroesophageal reflux disease also can be a reason of a sore throat. GERD appears as the back flow of stomach acid into the esophagus. Sore throat, heartburn, hoarseness and nausea are symptoms of this disease.
There’re some other reasons of throat pain. If you are allergic to pollen, pet dander, mold or other irritants, you can have post-nasal drip if these allergens will trigger.
Dry air also can be a reason of sore throat. Exposure to cigarette smoke or smoking cigarettes may trigger sore throats. Also a throat strain from too much talking or yelling.
How To Treat A Sore Throat Faster Natural Way
It is scientifically proven that gargling 5-6 times a day with salt warm water will loosen mucus and reduce swelling in the throat. It will help to kill bacteria.
For this you need dissolve in one cup of warm water half a teaspoon of salt. You can add a small amount of honey or sugar to sweeten the mixture, if the salty taste is too hard to drink for you. Don’t swallow the water after gargle, split water out after.
Drink More Fluids
When your throat is inflamed or irritated and you are sick, it is very important to drink muck fluids. You have to drink so much that your urine is clear or light yellow. This will make your body better able to fight against cold symptoms and will keep your mucous membranes wet and better able to fight bacteria and irritants allergens.
Water works well in any treatment, but fluids doesn’t mean only water, you can drink also chicken broth or fruit juice. Fluids are very useful, especially if you have fever.
A warm cup of herbal tea will help immediately to soothe a relief for a sore throat. Not only herbal teas will help, also white, green, or black leaves, that have antioxidants will ward off infection and strengthen immunity.
If you will add spoon of honey in your tea, it will help faster.
See also: How To Stop Coughing in 5 Minutes
soup from chicken has an additional benefits when you are sick. To eat heavy food will be difficult and painful with a swollen, but soup is easy and not so painful to eat and at the same time you can be sure that you are getting the nutrients which will fight off your infection.
Chicken soup will help to reduce a sore throat. As the broth include sodium, it can have anti-inflammatory affect, that will treat you without any medicine.
It can seems as a jock, but modern-day marshmallows will really help reduce sore throat, perhaps because it include the gelatin, which soothes and coats. It’s not only tasty, but also useful sweet. Something sweet and slippery such as marshmallows will provide some help, if your throat hurts to swallow anything.
Mixture from the marshmallow plant was used for many years to treat sore throats, colds and coughs, usually in tea form.
Have a Rest
First of all, what you need to do, to treat a sore throat faster is getting some rest to make your body able to fight the infection that is the reason of sore throat. It can obvious, but at the same time very important point in treatment.
Licorice root will help you to be healthy again, if you will dissolve it in warm water and gargle the throat.
Native Americans used slippery elm to relieve sore throats and coughs. Slippery elm contain a mucus. When you mix slippery elm with water, mucus forms a slick gel which soothes and coats.
Peppermint contains antiviral, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, that will help encourage healing. It works because peppermint contain menthol, that helps thin mucus and calm cough and sore throats. But better to use in a spray form.
- Older children and adults can suck ice lollies, lozenges, ice cubes or hard sweets.
- Avoid drink or food which is too hot.
- Avoid smoky environments and smoking.
- Drink chamomile tea.
- Echinacea and sage together will reduce sore throat symptoms.
- Gargle throat with a baking-soda.
- Keep the air in your bedroom from drying out, using humidifier.
- Garlic is a good way to fight the infection.
- Mix 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric into a cup of warm water and gargle.
- Keep in the mouth for 3-5 minutes wheatgrass juice and gargle.
- Gargle with ground cloves. For this add 1-3 teaspoons of ground cloves to warm water gargle.
- Drinking raspberry tea is an old and very helpful way to treat a sore throat.
How to Prevent a Sore Throat
Most reasons of sore throats are infectious, and there’re some tips you can follow to prevent this infection. Don’t forget to wash your hands throughout the day repeatedly, it will kill bacteria and germs which may cause bacterial and viral infections. Other advises:
- If water and soap aren’t available, use hand sanitizers.
- Don’t share with others utensils or drinking glasses.
- Avoid cigarette smoke.
- Escape exposure to allergens, like mold, pollen and dust.
- To eliminate dryness in home, keep a humidifier.
- Use vitamin C for prophylactic, especially if anybody in your family is sick already.
Whatever the home treatment you choose, don’t ignore a sore throat that continues longer than a week. It can be a sign of serious disease and you need to go to the doctor.